JUVÉDERM® is a natural, synthesized, and fully degradable FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler. The #1 ingredient is Hyaluronic acid which is a substance that is already present in your skin and is key for maintaining hydration and plump healthy skin. There are several fillers within the JUVÉDERM® Collection, each specifically designed to treat certain areas of concern on the face. The hero products from the JUVÉDERM® Collection are JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC, JUVÉDERM® Voluma, JUVÉDERM® Vollure, JUVÉDERM® Volbella and JUVÉDERM® Volux for defing the jawline.
Each filler is designed to improve your appearance by either adding volume to the cheeks and lower face, plumping the lips, smoothing fine lines and creases (known as nasolabial folds and marionette lines) around the mouth, lips and chin. These fillers can also be used under the eyes to brighten and fill the hollowness and to fill deep wrinkles and cheek depressions such as acne scarring.
Dr. Schlessinger performs full facial rejuvenation using a combination of precisely placed hyaluronic acid dermal fillers along-side neurotoxins, such as BOTOX®. These treatments complement one another when done together and provide results almost instantly.
Experience & Expertise
Fillers from the JUVÉDERM® Collection, Restylane family or RHA family are widely popular treatments and there are many considerations to be made when choosing the right provider. The placement and provider’s experience and expertise are just as important as the product used. At Schlessinger MD, one of the most important aspects of our practice, besides caring for patients, is that Dr. Schlessinger, board-certified Dermatologist & Cosmetic Surgeon, personally performs all injection treatments. Having more experience with hyaluronic acid fillers, including JUVÉDERM®, JUVÉDERM® Voluma & Restylane, and wrinkle relaxers such as BOTOX® and Dysport™ than most cosmetic surgeons in the nation, Dr. Schlessinger is a natural choice for this type of procedure.
Dr. Joel Schlessinger has been offering his patients JUVÉDERM® filler since 2007, when it was approved for use in the United States. He actually participated in the clinical trial that led to its widespread use. The product had been widely used in Europe before that and Dr. Schlessinger is considered a national expert and lectures widely on the subject of wrinkle relaxers and fillers.
Our skin research center, located adjacent to our medical practice in Omaha, NE, was also one of a few select sites in the nation to conduct the FDA-approval trials for dermal fillers, such as Restylane® and Restylane Lyft (formerly known as Perlane®). Dr. Schlessinger has also been active in the clinical research work for JUVEDERM® filler as well as for the neurotoxins, BOTOX® and Dysport™.
Dr. Schlessinger is distinguished as a 2023 NewBeauty Top Doctor, a 2023 Verified Expert Injector and a RealSelf Verified Doctor.
Rejuvenate your youth with fillers from the JUVÉDERM® Collection
Smooth, fill & contour
Volumize, lift & enhance
Plump, define & smooth
What is Juvederm and how does it work?
The main ingredient in all JUVÉDERM® fillers is hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in your skin that helps maintain hydration levels. As we age, our skin starts to lose hyaluronic acid, causing a change in the complexion’s structure and volume. JUVÉDERM® fillers contain hyaluronic acid in the form of a crystal-clear gel which is injected into the skin to not only add volume but to plump the lips, smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and to fill folds or creases caused by aging.
Treatments are safely performed in our office setting, in as little as 30 minutes. With only 1 or 2 tiny injections under the skin, JUVÉDERM® fillers can help you instantly obtain a desired look without any down time.
One of Dr. Schlessinger’s main goals when treating patients with dermal fillers is to maintain a natural look while restoring your youthful appearance. By expertly injecting dermal fillers you can achieve a refreshed look and contoured features without appearing to have had any work done at all. Over time, these dermal fillers can also stimulate collagen, which leads to a very nice change over a span of six months following your injection treatment. The result is a more healthy and vital appearance.
Injectable fillers are a patient-friendly and a preferred choice over invasive surgery. Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in the body and therefore it also dissolves naturally with time and is integrated into your body’s tissues. Hyaluronic acid fillers act much the same way.
The effects of hyaluronic acid fillers like those from the JUVÉDERM® Collection, Restylane family or the RHA fillers, can last many months. Generally speaking, your treatment results can last from about 6 months to almost 2 years, depending upon the filler used, the expertise of the injector and how quickly your body may metabolize the product. For example, the JUVÉDERM® Voluma filler is approved for 24 months of longevity.
How are the JUVÉDERM® fillers different?
There are several different fillers within the JUVÉDERM® Collection, each one was designed with a different need and different area of the face in mind for full facial rejuvenation. Dr. Schlessinger handpicks the selection of dermal fillers to use based on each patient’s unique needs.
- JUVÉDERM® or JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC, the original fillers of the JUVÉDERM® Collection, nicely fill fine lines on the upper and lower lips which may not be severe enough to require laser resurfacing. Deeper wrinkles and folds in the cheek and around the corners of the mouth, known as the nasolabial and melolabial lines, also respond well using JUVÉDERM® and other wrinkle fillers.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC is the first and only FDA-approved filler designed to instantly add volume to the cheek area. This injectable gel gently lifts the skin, creating a more youthful contour. This injectable is a great addition to JUVÉDERM XC because it treats a different area of the face. JUVÉDERM XC minimizes expression lines around the nose and mouth while JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC adds volume to the cheek area with clinically proven results that can last for up to two years.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC is a first-of-its-kind FDA-approved injectable hyaluronic acid filler that works by replenishing volume and smoothing moderate to severe parentheses lines around the nose and mouth. VOLLURE™ XC combines multiple molecular weights of replenishing hyaluronic acid to smooth lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth, and pairs well with other JUVÉDERM fillers designed for other facial areas. VOLLURE™ XC gives subtle, natural-looking results that last up to 18 months.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC is the latest addition to the Juvederm Collection designed for yet another area of the face; the lips & perioral lines around the mouth. This injectable gel gently plumps the lips and diminishes lines around the mouth, creating a more youthful appearance. When Volbella is used to treat the lips, it can restore a more natural and sensuous look. It provides visible, clinically proven results that can last from up to six months to one year. Lip enhancement treatments with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers have up to twice the longevity of standard collagen lip implant treatments.
- Introducing JUVÉDERM VOLUX™ XC, the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid filler designed specifically for improving and defining the jawline. This new dermal filler, one of the Juvederm Collection fillers, is designed with more structure and lift capacity, for sculpting along the jawline, than JUVEDERM VOLUMA, another Juvederm filler designed for adding lift and volume to the cheeks. JUVEDERM VOLUX XC is yet another incredible product for Dr. Schlessinger to utilize when treating the entire face for full facial rejuvenation.
What results can I expect from Juvederm filler injections?
Talk with Dr. Schlessinger prior to your treatment about your goals for using JUVÉDERM® fillers and feel free to ask any other questions regarding cosmetic procedures. Dr. Schlessinger and his cosmetic patient coordinators are very willing to answer any questions you may.
Your results will depend on your overall goal and suitability. Our goal is to make you look your best. Dr. Schlessinger is very diligent about letting patients know if they are good candidates for treatments and choosing which treatment and products may work best for your individual needs. Every person is unique therefore every treatment plan is unique. Depending on the area treated, most folds and wrinkles require one treatment. Regular reoccurring treatments are generally scheduled 6-12 months apart in order to maintain your results. These fillers are not permanent and their longevity varies based on which fillers are used, which means Dr. Schlessinger is able to curate a treatment plan just for you.
The great thing about JUVÉDERM® fillers is that you can replenish your natural beauty whenever you feel the need. Unlike permanent implants, JUVÉDERM® always leaves you with a choice when the effects of your injectable treatment have run their course. An enhancement can be performed any time you like after your previous treatment, in order to maintain your results.
While there are no guidelines as to how long each filler lasts, this may vary from person to person due to your metabolism. The longevity of each filler is different and results can vary based on the person performing your injection treatment. If too little filler is placed in an area where more is recommended then you will not achieve the result you are looking for and the filler will not “last” for a meaningful amount of time or even possibly show a significant change.
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, such as those from the JUVÉDERM® Collection, and neurotoxins, like the popular Botox, can be injected during the same visit and are the perfect duo. In fact, most of our patients prefer it this way as these injectable treatments complement one another and provide you with a fully rejuvenated appearance.
What will the treatment experience be like?
- One of our patient coordinators will greet you at our office in Omaha, Nebraska. Our coordinators and nurses assist patients with every step of their aesthetic journey from consult to treatment, they’ll be with you every step of the way.
- You will have a consultation in our comfortable and high-tech office of the patient coordinator, meeting with Dr. Schlessinger to discuss your aesthetic goals and answer any questions you might have.
- Your patient coordinator will take photographs to show you where your concerns, whether they’re specific to fine lines and wrinkles or skin laxity and dark circles, may be improved and they’ll review options with you. These before images are important and will be used to compare with your results 2 weeks later at your complimentary follow-up appointment.
- If you are a good candidate for injections, and choose to move forward with treatment, your face and any other areas indicated by Dr. Schlessinger for the Juvederm injections, will be cleaned and a potent topical numbing solution will be applied with your comfort in mind.
- Dr. Schlessinger will personally perform the JUVÉDERM® filler injections. At Schlessinger MD the only individual who works on you is the doctor. Dr. Schlessinger is very proud of the results he obtains, and this is one of the reasons he has consistently been voted the Best Cosmetic Surgeon & Dermatologist in Omaha and have been named a NewBeauty Top Doctor and is a Verified Expert Injector.
- Dr. Schlessinger adds a potent topical numbing medicine with the filler, and a topical numbing cream is applied as well. The actual injections are quick and nearly painless, and Dr. Schlessinger uses a slow and steady technique refined over the tens of thousands of procedures he has performed. A very small amount of JUVÉDERM® is injected with an ultra-thin needle very precisely into several areas. Most patients compare the sensation to a little sting.
- You can resume normal activities almost immediately.
What do I need to know before getting treated with Hyaluronic acid fillers?
It is important to see a licensed medical doctor who personally performs his or her own injection treatments. Seeing a knowledgeable, skilled physician who is an expert in facial anatomy, has experience with performing thousands of injection treatments, and is ethical in educating his or her patients on the best fillers to use, and where to use them, is critical when choosing a provider. Dr. Schlessinger is a board-certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon, which is an important distinction.
While JUVÉDERM® fillers contain anesthetic in the formulation, many patients like the added comfort provided with an anesthetic cream. This makes the treatment relatively painless and quick – your appointment is usually less than hour from start to finish.
Discomfort is minimal. With years of experience & honed skill, Dr. Schlessinger uses safe numbing techniques when injecting, to ensure patients are comfortable during their treatment. The injection treatment site may have a little swelling, which may only last a few hours to days, though it is possible for swelling to last a bit longer in some cases. Slight bruising, if it appears at all, varies from person to person and can be covered with concealer or makeup. If the lips are treated, initial swelling and tenderness may occur within the first few days, but subsides after 2 or 3 days.
To decrease swelling and bruising, Dr. Schlessinger advises that you avoid strenuous activity for the first day after receiving injections with JUVÉDERM® or other hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. Other activities such as sunbathing are acceptable, but unwise until any swelling and redness have subsided. Saunas and hot baths should also be avoided in the days following your injection treatment.
You’ll also be instructed to drink plenty of water and stick to a healthy diet after your JUVÉDERM® treatment. As your filler begins to settle, staying hydrated becomes even more vital; this is because dermal fillers draw water from the cells in the treatment region.
What other cosmetic treatments are similar?
JUVÉDERM® Collection fillers are considered the #1 chosen hyaluronic acid dermal fillers in the US, though there are other brands with different products for treating different concerns.
Other similar products used at Schlessinger MD are within the Restylane family of fillers and the RHA collection of fillers. Dr. Schlessinger sometimes uses one or the other depending on patient preference, the injection area and goal.
Are there side effects of JUVÉDERM® injections?
There may be slight redness and numbness for a few hours or days following treatment. The area(s) where the filler is placed may be a bit tender and swollen, but this shouldn’t keep you from your normal daily activities.
In rare instances, blood clots can happen. This is highly unusual but still something we would address immediately if it happens.
Make sure you have discussed all medications you are taking with the doctor before the procedure. Some medication may cause bruising and should be stopped well before the procedure. Be sure to avoid taking ibuprofen (Aleve), aspirin, and herbal supplements for up to 2 weeks prior to your visit if you can.
Some patients experience hypersensitivity, nodules, redness and swelling at the injection site. Temporary bruising can occur. Lips can be particularly sensitive to bruising. Cold compresses can help here. You’re more likely to have less bruising with a skilled and experienced injector than with a novice injector.
Who can have JUVÉDERM® injections? Who cannot?
If you’re wanting to reverse the signs of aging on your face and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and creases, and add volume or achieve a lifted appearance, you may be an ideal candidate for injection treatments from the JUVÉDERM® Collection of fillers, or other dermal fillers.
Ideal candidates should be in good health and should also have realistic expectations. Every person is unique and individual results may vary.
The best candidates for JUVÉDERM®, JUVÉDERM® Voluma, JUVÉDERM® Vollure or JUVÉDERM® Volbella fillers are individuals who are interested in treating volume loss, perioral lines, thin lips, fine lines and wrinkles including nasolabial folds.
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are not advised for women who are pregnant and patients with severe health conditions. Talk with Dr. Schlessinger or your doctor during your consultation about whether injection treatments with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers is right for you.
Where can I have this procedure performed?
We’re conveniently located to serve the Omaha, Lincoln and surrounding Nebraska areas. We would welcome your call at (402) 334-7546 for an appointment to discuss treatment with wrinkle fillers and wrinkle relaxers. If you live elsewhere, consult with a board-certified physician who specializes in cosmetic dermatology and does his, or her, own treatments. It takes skill and technique to get the really good results from wrinkle relaxers and hyaluronic acid dermal fillers.
I have had Juvederm and Botox done several times at 2 different locations. I was satisfied, or at least I thought I was, until I had Botox and Juvederm done by Dr. Schlessinger at Lovely Skin. He took the time to really study my facial wrinkle issues to know exactly what to do. It was a little more expensive, but well worth it. I have NEVER been as pleased as I am with how these wrinkles are literally gone. This was an absolutely wonderful experience and I WILL be going back when I need to repeat the procedure.
– NkaiserRead More Patient Reviews
Before & Afters
These are unretouched photos of Dr. Schlessinger’s own patients
START YOUR JOURNEY
Book a free cosmetic consultation today
Meet one-on-one with Dr. Joel Schlessinger to discuss your aesthetic concerns & to start your journey to a more beautiful you.Book Online
New Patient Exclusive
Save up to $300 off BOTOX® & Fillers
Welcome new patients. Take advantage of incredible savings of up to $300 off your first injection treatment at Schlessinger MD. All injections are personally performed by Joel Schlessinger, MD at New Beauty Expert Injector.Learn More